Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pop! Pop! Popcorn!

So recently I have been really into popcorn.  What a delicious, light, and healthy snack!  Well ... it has the possibility of being healthy.

I couldn't help myself and bought a box of "natural" microwave popcorn at the market.  When I brought it home I was disgusted with myself.  There is just SO much packaging and waste in a box of 3 popcorn bags. There is the card board box, the plastic around each bag, and then the bag itself.  And to top it off, who knows what chemicals are in the "natural" popcorn.  Just stuff you would have to be in a chemistry class to understand.  So when I finished the box  I made a resolve with myself to learn how to make popcorn over the stove.

Who would of thought it would be so easy?  Why is anyone making popcorn in the microwave?  Here is how I do it and now I can pronounce all the ingredients in my popcorn... corn, butter, salt.

  1. 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
  2. 3 tablespoons of canola oil
  3. Butter and salt (you decide how much)
Add the oil to your large saucepan and about 3 kernels and turn the stove on high.  
Wait for them to pop.  
Once they pop add the rest of the popcorn kernels and then remove the pan from the heat for 30 seconds.  Count out loud and insert the word, "Mississippi" in between your numbers.. makes it feel like you are 10 again.
Return the pan to the flame and wait for the rest of the kernels to pop.  They should start popping all at the same time.  Once it really gets going, give the pan a gentle shake and skew the lid a little.  It allows the steam to vent, so your popcorn is nice and crisp.  Once the popping stops, immediately pour into a bowl.  
Add butter and salt.

That's it!  Really!  Super easy and probably cheaper than the microwave stuff.  If you really want to go wild add some Parmesan cheese or Truffle oil.  Yum!
I can't get a picture of a bowl full of popcorn because someone insists on eating all of it right away

I wonder who that someone could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment