Sunday, August 12, 2012

Let There Be Light

I know this is really weird, but Kevin and I have been sitting in the dark since we moved in.  How long has it been?  Oh, 10 weeks ago?  

Every room in the house has a ceiling fan with lighting except the living room.  Which happens to be the room we spend the most time in.  So, most logical people would run out and buy a lamp probably within 1-3 days of sitting in the dark.  Not me!  I straight up refused and made any guest who came over sit by the light of the TV or the light spilling over from the entry or the hallway. 

I know, strange, but there is a method to my madness (isn't there always?).  I wanted can lighting in that room, and not just any can lights, but cost efficient and eco LED lighting.  And if I go out and buy a lamp, I will never do it.  Recessed lighting would just end up at the bottom of my home improvement list, which if you haven't seen it, is very long.

So I called my friend Joe to help us with the lighting.  I showed him the room I needed lighting in, and showed him access into the attic, and then finally showed him the fuse box.  

Wait, wait, back up!  A fuse box?  Who still has those?  Well, I did.  And I kind of liked it, it was cute.  Joe, however, felt it had to go.  

So a trip to Home Depot was in order to buy the lighting, the cans, the wires, a new breaker box, light switches and dimmers.  I am not going to tell you how much that cost, but let's just say we'll be eating a lot of pasta.

On Joe's next visit, we did the installation and Kevin learned a thing or two about electrical construction.  I am so proud of him!

And now we have beautiful lighting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I was super proud of Kevin and his electrical skillz. Eventually we are going to ground all the outlets. I want to say that more than half of them are not grounded.

    ReplyDelete